Whitehead and Aldrich have been accountants in Preston since 1906 when the firm was founded by Arthur Guy Paget Rigby. There is a slight suspicion that he became an accountant so he could competently count the number of names he had.
Mr Rigby started his own practice at number 5 Chapel Street after leaving Chartered Accountants, Davies and Crane in 1906.
We don’t know what was happening at Davies and Crane, but in 1907 two other Davies and Crane staff, James Goodier Bradshaw and Sam Whitehead left to join the new practice to form Rigby, Bradshaw and Whitehead. As business grew, expansion onto the Fylde coast took place with offices in St. Annes and Blackpool opening in 1910 and 1912.
Between 1923 and 1925 J. G. Bradshaw ceased practising in Preston and the St. Annes and Blackpool offices split up becoming known as Whitehead & Howarth and Bradshaw & Booth respectively. The Preston office was restyled Whitehead & Aldrich after Stephen Aldrich was admitted as a partner.
1953 saw the company move back to Chapel Street at number 4 this time before finally moving to our present offices in 1970.
Whitehead & Aldrich Company Timeline
Click here to view a timeline of all the Partners of Whitehead & Aldrich since the firm was established in 1906.