The firm was founded by Arthur Guy Paget Rigby who left Davies & Crane, Chartered Accountants, in 1906. He started practising on his own at 5 Chapel Street, Preston.
He was shortly joined by two other members of Davies & Crane, being James Goodier Bradshaw and Sam Whitehead, and in 1907 the practice became Rigby, Bradshaw and Whitehead. Offices were acquired at 34 St Annes Road West, St Annes in 1910 and 18 Clifton Street, Blackpool in 1912.
Between 1923 and 1925 J. G. Bradshaw ceased practising in Preston and the St Annes and Blackpool offices split up becoming known as Whitehead & Howarth and Bradshaw & Booth respectively. The Preston office was restyled Whitehead & Aldrich after Stephen Aldrich was admitted as a partner.
Subsequently the firm moved in 1953 to 4 Chapel Street and in 1970 to 5 Ribblesdale Place.